A note from the Student Body President

Local. Art by Chris Brockman.
Local. Art by Chris Brockman.

Buffs,

West Texas A&M University has evaluated our advising services department and has suggested there be an increase in the Advising Fee: $15/student per fall and spring semester and a $7.50 increase for the summer sessions.  Advising Services is committed to providing academic advising to all new and continuing undergraduate students at West Texas A&M University. While many believe services are typically focused on students who have less than thirty credit hours, more than 3000 upper-class students used advising services in 2013.  Academic advisors also serve as resources for faculty and staff who work to guide and counsel students on their academic career path. Through the advising process students get help clarifying their personal and educational goals; learning about educational options available at WT; selecting an educational plan consistent with their abilities, skills, interests and goals; discovering the many opportunities available for student engagement; and exploring the resources available to assist them with being a successful student.

As described in the request, this increase would allow for:
  • three additional full-time advisors
  • two graduate students to help with clerical tasks
  • implementation of Advisor Track, a student tracking software program, at the department level
  • an additional student worker to make appointments, direct traffic flow in the advising center, help call students about Early Alerts and payments due, etc.
Following discussions with the Director of Advising Services, the University President and University Provost, the West Texas A&M University’s Student Senate voted in favor of allowing the student body to make the decision FOR or AGAINST the proposed Advising Services fee increase.
Now it is your time to decide what is in the best interest of current and future Buffs. A referendum vote will take place, April 1, available to you from the WT homepage.
Let your voice be heard and vote FOR or AGAINST the increase of the advising fee.
Leif C. Knippers

Student Body President
West Texas A&M University
Cell Phone: (903) 391-8602
Office Phone: (806) 651-2386
JBK Suite 102E